Dr. Shannon Fernando, MD, MSc
Queen's University, 2014
PGY-4, Emergency Medicine, University of Ottawa
PGY-4, Critical Care Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Critical Care
- Fitness and weight training
- Athletics (soccer, hockey, baseball)
- Playing a variety of musical instruments
Fernando SM, Kisilewicz M, Millington SJ. Point-of-Care Ultrasound. In: Cardinal P. ACES: Approach to Critical Care, 1st Edition. Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. (Accepted; In Press).
- Barnaby DP, Fernando SM, Ferrick K, Herry CL, Seely AJ, Bijur PE, Gallagher EJ. Use of the Low-Frequency/High-Frequency Ratio to predict short-term deterioration in Emergency Department patients with sepsis. EMJ (Accepted; In Press).
- Fernando SM, Millington SJ. The right ventricle in cardiorespiratory failure. Curr Pulmonol Rep (Accepted; In Press).
- Fernando SM, Munene PM, Pena-Fernandez E. Iatrogenic pulmonary air embolism. CMAJ (Accepted; In Press).
- Fernando SM, Charbonneau V, Rosenberg H. Hypercapnea and acidemia despite hyperventilation following endotracheal intubation in a case of unknown severe salicylate poisoning. Case Rep Crit Care (Accepted; In Press). EPub Mar. 29, 2017.
- Fernando SM, Fitzpatrick T, Hurdle H, Anand A, Skinner CR, Boyd KU, Dumtrascu G, Hooper J. Recurrent non-epileptiform, seizure-like phenomena secondary to propofol administration. Can J Anaesth (Accepted; In Press). EPub Mar 27, 2017.
- Fernando SM, Cheskes S, Howes D. Hands-on defibrillation and electrocardiogram artefact filtering technology increases chest compression fraction and decreases peri-shock pause duration in a simulation model of cardiac arrest. CJEM 2016:18;270-275.
- Szulewski A, Fernando SM, Baylis J, Howes D. Increasing pupil size is associated with increasing cognitive processing demands: A pilot study using a mobile eye-tracking device. Open J Emerg Med 2014:2;8-11.
- Musa M, Fernando SM, Chatterjee D, Monks DA. Subcellular effects of myocyte-specific androgen receptor overexpression in mice. J Endocrinol 2011;210:93-104.
- Huguenard AL, Fernando SM, Monks DA, Sengelaub DR. Overexpression of androgen receptors in target musculature confers androgen sensitivity to motoneuron dendrites. Endocrinology 2011;152:639-650.
- Fernando SM, Rao P, Niel L, Chatterjee D, Stagljar M, Monks DA. Myocyte androgen receptors increase metabolic rate and improve body composition by reducing fat mass. Endocrinology 2010;151:3125-3132.
- Niel L, Shah AH, Lewis GA, Mo K, Chatterjee D, Fernando SM, Hong MH, Chang WY, Vollmayr P, Rosen J, Miner JN, Monks DA. Sexual differentiation of the spinal nucleus of the bulbocavernosus is not mediated solely by androgen receptors in muscle fibers. Endocrinology 2010;150:3207-3213.
- CAEP, Top Resident Research Abstract Award (2017)
- CAEP, Junior Investigator Award (2017)
- Queen's University, LJ Patterson Prize in Medical Research
- CIHR, Banting and Best Canada Graduate Scholarship